Good skincare is essential in both treating and preventing nappy rash. Following these simple steps will help1:
- Lie your baby on a towel and leave your baby’s nappy off when you can, to let fresh air get to the skin.
- Change wet or soiled nappies as soon as possible.
- Clean the nappy area thoroughly using plain water or alcohol and fragrance free wipes.
- Gently pat rather than rub your baby’s bottom dry and avoid vigorous rubbing.
- Use a suitable barrier ointment at each nappy change.
1. Morris H, Getting to the bottom of nappy rash, Community Practitioner, November 2012, Volume 85, Number 11